Students aged 14 through 17 play an important role in making Phelps a friendly and efficient place for patients, staff, and visitors. More than 30 junior volunteers serve in a variety of areas. Whether you want to fulfill your Community Service or you’re thinking about medical school or a career in healthcare, our junior volunteer program provides the opportunity to observe and interact with professionals in a health care facility.
Why be a junior volunteer?
- Enjoy great satisfaction from helping others
- Add service to your resume when applying to college or for a job
- Get exposure to a variety of careers in the healthcare field
- Meet peers from your own school and others
What are the junior volunteer requirements?
- 14 years of age
- Working papers (for those under 18)
- Medical clearance
- Time commitment of two, 4 hour shifts per week for entire 8 week program
- Application and personal interview
Assignments for Junior Volunteers include:
- Administrative/Clerical Support
- Cherry Door Thrift Shop
- Gift Shop
- Information Desk
- Errand transport
- Child DayCare Center (must be 17 by 7/1)
Once accepted as a junior volunteer, you’ll attend volunteer orientation and undergo training in your service area. Upon completion, we’ll write a description of the service area in which you worked and provide the number of volunteer hours you have given to Phelps.
Summer 2018 Applications are Closed
We are no longer taking requests for the 2018 summer program. Please check back in January of 2019 to sign up for the 2019 summer program.
All selected junior volunteers must attend a mandatory orientation in June and begin volunteering the first Monday in July. All junior volunteers must be available to volunteer during the entire 8-week period of July and August.
Phelps accepts junior volunteers ages 14-17 without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex or disability.
For more information, contact Volunteer Services at (914) 366-3170.