Students aged 14 through 17 play an important role in making Phelps a friendly and efficient place for patients, staff, and visitors. More than 50 junior volunteers serve in a variety of areas. Whether you want to fulfill your Community Service or you’re thinking about medical school or a career in healthcare, our junior volunteer program provides the opportunity to observe and interact with professionals in either patient- or non-patient-related services.
Why be a junior volunteer?
- Enjoy great satisfaction from helping others
- Add service to your resume when applying to college or for a job
- Get exposure to a variety of careers in the healthcare field
- Meet peers from your own school and others
- Receive a free uniform shirt, snacks and an ID badge
What are the junior volunteer requirements?
- 14 years of age
- Working papers (for those under 18)
- Medical clearance
- Time commitment of 3-4 hour shifts for 8 weeks during July and August
- Application and personal interview
Assignments for Junior Volunteers include:
- Administrative/Clerical Support
- Cherry Door Thrift Shop
- Gift Shop
- Information Desk
Once accepted as a junior volunteer, you’ll attend volunteer orientation and undergo training in your service area. Upon completion, we’ll write a description of the service area in which you worked and provide the number of volunteer hours you have given to Phelps.
Ready to get started?
Complete and submit the volunteer application in February. All applications will be reviewed, and if you are selected as a potential volunteer you will be contacted by phone or email in March to set up an interview.
All junior volunteers attend a mandatory orientation in June and begin volunteering the first Monday in July. All junior volunteers must be available to volunteer during the entire 8-week period of July and August.
Phelps accepts junior volunteers ages 14-17 without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex or disability.
For more information, contact Volunteer Services at (914) 366-3170.